This volume, the third in a sequence that began with The Theory of Matroids and Combinatorial Geometries, concentrates on the applications of matroid theory to a variety of topics from engineering (rigidity and scene analysis), combinatorics (graphs, lattices, codes and designs), topology and operations research (the greedy algorithm). As with its predecessors, the contributors to this volume have written their articles to form a cohesive account so that the result is a volume which will be a valuable reference for research workers.
Table of Contents
1. Matroids and rigid structures W. Whiteley
2. Perfect matroid designs M. Deza
3. Infinite matroids J. Oxley
4. Matroidal families of graphs J. M. S.
5. Algebraic aspects of partition lattices
Rival and M. Stanford
6. The Tutte polynomial and its applications
Brylawski and J. Oxley
7. Homology and shellability of matroids and
geometric lattices A. Bjö
8. Introduction to greedoids A. Bjö
rner and G. M. Ziegler