Nonlinear dynamics and chaos involves the study of apparent random happenings within a system or process. The subject has wide applications within mathematics, engineering, physics and other physical sciences. Since the bestselling first edition was published, there has been a lot of new research conducted in the area of nonlinear dynamics and chaos.
* Expands on the bestselling, highly regarded first edition
* A new chapter which will cover the new research in the area since first edition
* Glossary of terms and a bibliography have been added
* All figures and illustrations will be 'modernised'
* Comprehensive and systematic account of nonlinear dynamics and chaos, still a fast-growing area of applied mathematics
* Highly illustrated
* Excellent introductory text, can be used for an advanced undergraduate/graduate course text
Introduction; Part I Basic Concepts of Nonlinear Dynamics; An overview of nonlinear phenomena; Point attractors in autonomous systems; Limit cycles in autonomous systems; Periodic attractors in driven oscillators; Chaotic attractors in forced oscillators; Stability and bifurcations of equilibria and cycles; Part II Iterated Maps as Dynamical Systems; Stability and bifurcation of maps; Chaotic behaviour of one-and two-dimensional maps; Part III Flows, Outstructures and Chaos; The Geometry of Recurrence; The Lorenz system; Rosslers band; Geometry of bifurcations; Part IV Applications in the Physical Sciences; Subharmonic resonances of an offshore structure; Chaotic motions of an impacting system; Escape from a potential well; Appendix: Codimension 1 Bifurcations; Illustrated Glossary.