The Routledge Handbook of Lexicography provides a comprehensive overview of the major approaches to lexicography and their applications within the field. This Handbook features key case studies and cutting-edge contributions from an international range of practitioners, teachers, and researchers. Analysing the theory and practice of compiling dictionaries within the digital era, the 47 chapters address the core issues of:
- The foundations of lexicography, and its interactions with other disciplines including Corpus Linguistics and Information Science;
- Types of dictionaries, for purposes such as translation and teaching;
- Innovative specialised dictionaries such as the Oenolex wine dictionary and the Online Dictionary of New Zealand Sign Language;
- Lexicography and world languages, including Arabic, Hindi, Russian, Chinese, and Indonesian;
- The future of lexicography, including the use of the Internet, user participation, and dictionary portals.