Summarises current understandign of the Jovian system, in the light of recent scientific results from the galileo spacecraft, the Galileo probe, the Cassini spacecraft, the Hubble Space Telescope, and numerous ground-based and theoretical studies.
This comprehensive volume authoritatively describes current understanding of the complex and fascinating jovian system. Written by a team of world experts, it brings together every aspect of the giant planetary system, from the deep interior of Jupiter to the distant tiny satellites and swarms of escaping gas and dust. Chapters present a synthesis of experimental data from the Voyager, Galileo, and Cassini missions, from telescopes on the ground and in space, and from theoretical models on the different components that make up the Jupiter system. This book is a valuable introduction for graduate students and an indispensable resource for all researchers in planetary science.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction F. Bagenal
2. The origin of Jupiter J. Lunine, A.
Corandini, D. Gautier, T. Owen and G. Wuchterl
3. The interior of Jupiter T. Guillot, D.
Stevenson, W. Hubbard and D. Saumon
4. The composition of the atmosphere of Jupiter
F. Taylor, S. Atreya, T. Encrenaz, D. Hunten,
P. Irwin and T. Owen
5. Jovian clouds and haze R. West, K. Baines,
A. Friedson, D. Banfield, B. Ragent and F.
6. Dynamics of Jupiter's atmosphere A.
Ingersoll, T. Dowling, P. Gierasch, G. Orton,
P. Read, A. Sanchez-Lavega, A. Showman, A.
Simon-Miller and A. Vasavada
7. The stratosphere of Jupiter J. Moses, T.
Fouchet, R. V. Yelle, A. Friedson, G. Orton, B.
Bezard, P. Drossart, G. Gladstone, T. Kostiuk
and T. Livengood
8. Lessons from Shoemaker-Levy about Jupiter
and planetary impacts J. Harrington, I. de
Pater, S. Brecht, D. Deming, V. Meadows, K.
Zahnle and P. Nicholson
9. Jupiter's thermosphere and ionosphere R.
Yelle and S. Miller
10. Jovian dust: streams, clouds and rings H.
Kruger, M. Horanyi, A. Krivov and A. Graps
11. Jupiter's ring-moon system J. Burns, D.
Simonelli, M. Showalter, D. Hamilton, C. Porco,
H. Throop and L. Esposito
12. Jupiter's outer satellites and trojans D.
Jewitt, S. Sheppard and C. Porco
13. Interior composition, structure and
dynamics of the Galilean satellites G.
Schubert, J. Anderson, T. Spohn and W. McKinnon
14. The lithosphere and surface of Io A.
McEwen, L. Keszthelyi, R. Lopes, P. Schenk and
15. Geology of Europa R. Greeley, C. Chyba, J.
W. Head III, T. McCord, W. McKinnon, R.
Papparlardo and P. Figueredo
16. Geology of Ganymede R. Pappalardo, G.
Collins, J. Head III, P. Helfenstein, T.
McCord, J. Moore, L. Proctor, P. Shenk and J.
17. Callisto J. Moore, C. Chapman. E. Bierhaus,
R. Greeley, F. Chuang, J. Klemaszewski, R.
Clark, J. Dalton, C. Hibbitts, P. Schenk, J.
Spencer and R. Wagner
18. Ages and interiors: the cratering record of
the Galilean satellites P. Schenk, C. Chapman,
K. Zahnle and J. Moore
19. Satellite atmospheres M. McGrath, E.
Lellouch, D. Strobel, P. Feldman and R. Johnson
20. Radiation effects on the surfaces of the
Galilean satellites R. Johnson, R. Carlson, J.
Cooper, C. Paranicas, M. Moore and M. Wong
21. Magnetospheric interactions with satellites
M. Kivelson, F. Bagenal, W. Kurth, F. Neubauer,
C. Paranicas and J. Saur
22. Plasma interactions of Io with its plasma
torus J. Saur, F. Neubauer, J. Connerney, P.
Zarka and M. Kivelson
23. The Io neutral clouds and plasma torus N.
Thomas, F. Bagenal, T. Hill and J. Wilson
24. The configuration of Jupiter's
magnetosphere K. Khurana, M. Kivelson, V.
Vasyliunas, N. Krupp, J. Woch, A. Lagg, B. Mauk
and W. Kurth
25. Dynamics of the Jovian magnetosphere N.
Krupp, V. Vasyliunas, J. Woch, A. Lagg, K.
Khurana, M. Kivelson, B. Mauk, E. Roelof, D.
Williams, S. Krimigis, W. Kurth, L. Frank and
26. Jupiter's Aurora J. Clarke, D. Grodent, S.
Cowley, E. Bunce, P. Zarka, J. Connerney and T.
27. Jupiter's inner radiation belts S. Bolton,
R. Thorne, S. Bourdarie, I de Pater and B. Mauk
Appendix 1. Maps and spectra of Jupiter and the
Galilean satellites J. Spencer, R. Carlson, T.
Becker and J. Blue
Appendix 2. Planetary parameters J. Weiss.