Applied Subsurface Geological Mapping, With Structural Methods, 2nd Edition is the practical, up-to-the-minute guide to the use of subsurface interpretation, mapping, and structural techniques in the search for oil and gas resources. Two of the industry's leading consultants present systematic coverage of the field's key principles and newest advances, offering guidance that is valuable for both exploration and development activities, as well as for "detailed" projects in maturely developed areas.
Fully updated and expanded, this edition combines extensive information from the published literature with significant material never before published. The authors introduce superior techniques for every major petroleum-related tectonic setting in the world.< /P>
- A systematic, ten-step philosophy for subsurface interpretation and mapping
- The latest computer-based contouring concepts and applications
- Advanced manual and computer-based log correlation
- Integration of geophysical data into subsurface interpretations and mapping
- Cross-section construction: structural, stratigraphic, and problem-solving
- Interpretation and generation of valid fault, structure, and isochore maps
- New coverage of 3D seismic interpretation, from project setup through documentation
- Compressional and extensional structures: balancing and interpretation
- In-depth new coverage of strike-slip faulting and related structures
- Growth and correlation consistency techniques: expansion indices, Multiple Bischke Plot Analysis, vertical separation versus depth, and more
- Numerous field examples from around the world
Whatever your role in the adventure of finding and developing oil or gas resourcesa??as a geologist, geophysicist, engineer, technologist, manager or investora??the tools presented in this book can make you significantly more effective in your daily technical or decision-oriented activities. < /P>
Reviewers. Contributors. Drafting. Support Personnel. Contributing Authors. Special Recognition from Daniel J. Tearpock. Special Recognition from Richard E. Bischke. Biography of Daniel J. Tearpock. Biography of Richard E. Bischke.
1. Introduction to Subsurface Mapping.
Textbook Overview. The Philosophical Doctrine of Accurate Subsurface Interpretation and Mapping. Types Of Subsurface Maps and Cross Sections.
2. Contouring and Contouring Techniques.
Introduction . Three-Dimensional Perspective. Rules of Contouring. Methods of Contouring By Hand. Computer-Based Contouring Concepts and Applications.
3. Directionally Drilled Wells and Directional Surveys.
Introduction. Application of Directionally Drilled Wells. Common Types of Directionally Drilled Wells. Directional Well Plan. Directional Tools Used for Measurements. Directional Survey Calculations. Directional Survey Uncertainties. Directional Well Plots.
4. Log Correlation Techniques.
Introduction. Electric Log Correlation Procedures and Guidelines. Correlation Type Log. Electric Log Correlation