The occasion of Professor Fritz Ursell's retirement was marked by a two-day meeting consisting of invited talks by some of the most distinguished researchers in the various topics of fluid mechanics and asymptotics studied by Professor Ursell throughout his long and distinguished career. The papers collected here therefore outline the development of these topics from asymptotic methods in anisotropic wave systems, surface wave theory, biological models and differential equations, through to slender body theory, water wave theory and propeller-generated wakes. These edited papers will be valuable reading for all those interested in water waves and asymptotic techniques.
Table of Contents
1. Asymptotic behaviour of anisotropic wave
systems stimulated by oscillating sources James
2. Uniform asymptotics of oscillating integrals
J. N. L. Connor
3. Approximations and asymptotics for
differential equations R. E. Meyer
4. Converging factors F. W. J. Oliver
5. Matched asymptotic methods in surface wave
theory F. G. Leppington
6. Asymptotics in some biological models V. C.
7. The approximation of free-surface Green
functions J. N. Newman
8. On far-field approximations for the wave
pattern around a ship at constant speed K.
9. An analytical theory of propellor-generated
effective wake J. P. Breslin
10. Analytic aspects of slender body theory E.
11. Vertical barriers, sloping beaches and
submerged bodies D. V. Evans
12. Some unsolved problems in water wave theory
F. J. Ursell.