Table of Contents
Introduction M. Basoglu
Part I. Torture and its Consequences: 1. The
prevention of torture and the clinical care of
survivors: a field in need of a new science R.
2. The physical sequelae of torture G. Skylv
3. Psychosocial consequences of torture:
current knowledge and evidence F. Somnier, P.
Vesti, M. Kastrup and I. K. Genefke
4. Psychological effects of torture: an
empirical study of tortured and non-tortured
non-political prisoners M. Paker, Ö
. Paker and S. Yü
5. Psychosocial consequences for tortured
refugees seeking asylum and refugee status in
Europe R. Baker
6. Long-term effects of torture in former
prisoners of war T. W. Miller
7. The Holocaust: survivors and their children
Part II. Theory: 8. Psychobiological
consequences of severe trauma J. A. Saporta and
B. A. Van der Kolk
9. The role of uncontrollable and unpredictable
stress in post-traumatic stress responses in
torture survivors M. Basoglu and S. Mineka
Part III. Assessment, Diagnosis, and
Classification: 10. Psychopathology of
post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD):
boundaries of the syndrome R. McNally
11. Overview: the assessment and diagnosis of
torture events and symptoms R. F. Mollica and
Part IV. Rehabilitation Programmes for Torture
Survivors: 12. Organization of care and
rehabilitation services for victims of torture
and other forms of organized violence: a review
of current issues L. H. M. van Willigen
13. Multidisciplinary approach in the treatment
of torture survivors S. Bø
jholm and P. Vesti
14. Sexual torture and the treatment of its
consequences I. Lunde and J. Ortmann
Part V. Psychotherapy: 15. Psychodynamic
approaches in the treatment of torture
survivors E. Bustos
16. Psychotherapy for torture survivors P.
Vesti and M. Kastrup
17. Current trends in the treatment of
post-traumatic stress symptoms T. M. Keane, A.
M. Albano and D. D. Blake
18. Behavioural and cognitive approach in the
treatment of torture-related psychological
problems M. Basoglu
Part VI. Torture in Particular Countries:
Experience with Survivors of Torture in their
Home country: 19. Torture in Argentina D.
Kordon, L. Edelman, D. Lagos, E. Nicoletti, D.
Kersner and M. Groshaus
20. Torture and the helping professions in
South Africa T. Dowdall
21. Torture in Pakistan M. Mehdi
22. Rehabilitation of survivors of torture and
political violence under a continuing stress
situation: the Philippine experience A. A.
Parong, E. Protacio-Marcelino, S.
Estrado-Claudio, J. Pagaduan-Lopez and M. V.
Part VII. Modern Ethics and International Law:
23. Modern ethics and international law B.