In this new and revised edition of the landmark book High-Impact Consulting, Robert H. Schaffer reveals how senior managers unwittingly collude with their consultants to perpetuate the great waste inherent in "the five fatal flaws of conventional consulting." Drawing on his own work with companies-- Motorola, Rio Tinto, IBM, General Reinsurance Corporation, The World Bank, and other successful organizations-- Schaffer offers a field-tested approach to working with consultants that has proven to get results. He identifies the key elements of an effective project design?particularly that project objectives are defined in terms of client results rather than just consultant deliverables. The process enables clients to be certain that the work is carried out in ways that ensure success.
Table of Contents
Part One: From High-Stakes Gambling to
1. Low-Yield, Conventional Consulting versus
High-Yield, High-Impact Consulting.
2. The Five Fatal Flaws of Conventional
3. The Bottom-Line Results of High-Impact
Part Two: The Results-Driven Architecture of
4. Define Goals in Terms of Client Results
Instead of Consultant Products.
5. Match Project Scope to What the Client Is
Ready to Do.
6. Aim for Rapid-Cycle Successes to Generate
7. Build a Partnership to Achieve and to
8. Leverage Resources: More Results with
Fewer Consultants Part Three: Creating
9. Create a Contract for Collaboration
Instead of a Proposal for a Job.
10. Senior Managers Must Insist That Their
People Produce the Results.
11. Build Communication Bridges and Overcome
12. Test the Shift to High-Impact Consulting:
Itﾆs All Upside and Risk-Free.