With regard to the "science" of corporate downsizing.
Presented by the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, this much-needed resource offers a wealth of theoretical information, best business practices, and winning techniques for executives who must guide their companies through the often difficult processes of mergers, acquisitions, downsizings, and other transitions. Written by top experts in the field, "Resizing the Organization" is a field guide for applying industrial and organizational psychology theories and practices to the management of change strategies.
Table of Contents
Foreword (Eduardo Salas).
Preface (Dave Ulrich).
1. The Realities of Resizing (Mitchell Lee
Marks, Kenneth P. De Meuse).
2. Who Moved My Drink? The Preparation for
the Closure of Seagram's Spirits and Wine
Business: A Personal Experience (Ronny
3. Another Layoff? A Dot-Com Reality! My
Story (Jeffrey Crandell).
4. Contribution-Based Process for Continually
Right-Sizing an Organization: Experiences
from W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. (Raymond
5. The Effects of Organizational Resizing on
the Nature of the Psychological Contract and
Employee Perceptions of Contract Fulfillment
(Scott W. Lester, Jill R. Kickul, Thomas J.
Bergmann, Kenneth P. De Meuse).
6. The Impact of Corporate Downsizing on
Employee Fulfillment and Organizational
Capacity (Jack W. Wiley, Scott M. Brooks,
Emily L. Hause).
7. Financial Consequences of
Employment-Change Decisions in Major U.S.
Corporations, 1982-2000 (Wayne F. Cascio,
Clifford E. Young).
8. Resizing and the Marketplace: The Response
of Customers and Competitors to
Reorganization (David T. Bastien, Todd J.
9. The Impact of Layoffs on Family,
Friendship, and Community Networks (Daniel C.
10. Moving as the Markets Move: Planning for
Resizing (Kathryn D. McKee, Nina E. Woodard).
11. How to Implement Organizational Resizing
(Roger D. Sommer).
12. Revitalization After Resizing (Mitchell
13. The Hidden Costs and Benefits of
Organizational Resizing Activities (Anthony
14. Organizational Adaptability: Rethinking
the Resizing Process (Jessica L. Saltz,
Philip H. Mirvis).
15. Quicker, Faster, Cheaper, Smarter:
Resizing Organizations, Resizing Employees
(Kenneth P. De Meuse, Mitchell Lee Marks).