This book is the first to examine the development of Shakespeare's representations of violence and to explain their importance in shaping his career as a dramatist.
Table of Contents
List of illustrations
1. Introduction: 'Exterminate all the brutes'
2. Shakespeare's culture of violence
3. Shakespeare and the display of violence
4. Plays and movies: Richard III and Romeo and
5. Shakespeare on war: King John to Henry V
6. Violence, Renaissance tragedy, and Hamlet
7. The central tragedies and violence
8. Roman violence and power games
9. Violence and the late plays