Translated by David Macey. This new book by Pierre Macherey is his first dealing with literature and theory since A Theory of Literary Production, which has become a standard reference point in contemporary literary theory.
Table of Contents
1. What is literature thinking about?
Part I. Roads to History: 2. A cosmopolitan
imaginary: the literary thought of Mme. de
3. George Sand's Spiridion: a pantheist novel
4. The Hegelian musings of Raymond Queneau
Part II. Into the Depths: 5. On Victor Hugo:
figures of the man from below
6. Georges Bataille: materialism inverted
7. A rhetoric of the abyss: Cé
line's magic metro
Part III. All Must Pass Away: 8. Sade and the
order of disorder
9. Flaubert's non-realism
10. Foucault reads Roussel: literature as
11. Towards a literary philosophy.