Table of Contents
1. Some slight shifts in the manner of the
novel of manners
2. 'You've got to see it, feel it, smell it,
hear it', buy it: Hemingway's commercial forms
3. The Great Gatsby, glamour on the turn
4. Money makes manners make man make woman:
Tender is the Night, a familiar romance? 5.
Iconic narratives: or, how three Southerners
fought the second Civil War
6. Fordism: from desire to destruction (an
7. Why are we in Vietnam?: because the buck
8. Fordism, voiced and unvoiced: Mailer's
vocalism and Armies of the Night
9. Armies of the Night: a familiar romance?