Chapters from The Agrarian History of England and Wales, volumes IV and V part II, now appear for the first time in five paperback volumes, designed primarily for a student readership. Dealing respectively with pieces, wages, profits and rents; estate management and the condition of the farm labourer; agricultural techniques and enclosure; marketing; and rural building, these studies bring together the fruits of co-operative scholarship from authorities on the social and economic history of rural England and Wales in the early modern period. To set each subject in context and to update material where necessary, new introductions have been written by the authors of each volume.
Table of Contents
List of tables and text-figures
List of abbreviations
1. Landlords in England, 1500-1640 Gordon Batho
and Joyce Touings
2. Landlords in Wales, 1500-1640 The Late L.
Jones Pierce and Glanmor Williams
3. Farm Labourers, 1500-1640 Alan Everett
4. Select biblioraphy, 1500-1640
5. Landlords and estate management in England,
1640-1750 Christopher Clay
6. Landlords and estate managemetn in Wales,
1640-1750 David W. Howell
7. Select bibliography