Addresses his ongoing concern in the socialization of children, the impact of the fairy tale on children and adults, and the future development of the fairy tale as film.
First Published in 1997. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.adults, and the future development of the fairy tale as a film.
Table of Contents
Introduction 1 (14)
1. Of Cats and Men Framing the Civilizing 15 (24)
Discourse of the Fairy Tale
2. The Rationalization of Abandonment and 39 (22)
Abuse in Fairy Tales The Case of Hansel and
3. Toward a Theory of the Fairy-Tale Film 61 (28)
The Case of Pinocchio
4. Once Upon a Time beyond Disney 89 (22)
Contemporary Fairy-Tale Films for Children
5. Lion Kings and the Culture Industry 111(18)
6. Revisiting Benjamin's "The Storyteller" 129(14)
Reviving the Past to Move Forward